October 30, 2012

Cloud Atlas (2012)

As soon as I heard that this film was showing at TIFF, I knew for sure that this was one that I needed to see for myself. Walking out of the cinema, I was baffled beyond belief and not quite sure what to think of this film. An hour later, and I was sure that this is a film that everyone needs to experience for themselves. The official synopsis describes Cloud Atlas as "an epic story of humankind in which the actions and consequences of our lives impact one another throughout the past, present and future as one soul is shaped from a murderer into a savior and a single act of kindness ripples out for centuries to inspire a revolution."

Based on the book by David Mitchel, Cloud Atlas is a series of 6 ministories weaved together to tell the most magical story. Every story is connected to the next in the simplest of ways, but blink and you'll miss the connection. (Spoiler: the protagonists of each ministory share a peculiarly shaped birthmark) (Spoiler: That's not the only quirk). 



Tom Hanks (L) and Halle Berry (R) in "Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After" Source: The Guardian

There's a lot of content to cover for this film, and to be quite honest I don't remember much of it. But that's not me taking anything away from the artistry of the film. Every single actor in the film was able to transcend their characters into something I had not expected. In a film about love, war, despair, and reincarnation, it's amazing how Tom Tykwer and the Wachowski brothers were able to transform words on a page into something beyond my wildest imagination. 

Unfortunately, the plot is not as simple to talk about. Each individual story kept weaving in and out, and at times it was hard to follow. As one story started up again, I had a difficult time remembering what happened before. It would have been much better if it followed the way the book was written. In the book each story starts, but is cut off half way. The final story finished completely with no pauses and then the remaining stories are wrapped up in reverse chronological order. If the film was produced this way I think it would have been much easier to follow. I don't know if it would help with understanding the meaning behind the film, but I definitely think it would have been a less confusing experience

Cloud Atlas is not a movie that you should expect to understand while watching. It's not one that you should understand coming out of the cinema. It took me approximately three hours after walking out to understand what it's about. A lot of painstaking research about the book, and further research about the creation and directing of the film. And then time to process what I just read. But, believe me when I say that this is a movie that will keep you thinking long after you walk out. It's been three days since I've watched the film, and I'm still racking my brain trying to grasp the deeper meaning. And that's exactly the appeal of this film.

Rating: 7.5/10 

1 comment:

  1. Good review Debbie. It’s ambitions aren’t as smart or profound as they’d like to think they are, but the film I still something that’s worth watching and being very, very entertained by. If only it had a chance to make all of it’s money back.

    ReplyDelete