October 24, 2012

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

After hearing good things about this movie when it screened at TIFF, I decided to check it out. Martin McDonagh (In Bruges) definitely left me speechless and I must admit a tad bit confused. Marty (Colin Farrell) is a struggling writer who wants to write a screenplay about, you guessed it, seven psychopaths. His alcoholism prevents him from focusing and finding inspiration. With help from his friends Billy (Sam Rockwell) and Hans (Christopher Walken), he eventually does write this screenplay. Along the way we meet a bunch of crazy characters including Charlie (Woody Harrelson) who is on a mission to find his beloved shih tzu Bonny.

From left to right: Farrell, Walken, Rockwell Source: thecoast.ca

If the plot sounds insane to you, it's because it is. McDonagh has cleverly weaved the story line with the story line of the supposed screenplay that Marty is writing, but the bulk of the film had little substance. The one ting that this film has going for it is the dark and twisted humour. Especially from the acting of Rockwell. There's a scene where he has this monologue and I'm pretty sure I was laughing through the whole thing. 

The story line is just so ridiculous that I left the cinema laughing out of confusion. This film wasn't bad per se, but it wasn't what I had thought it would be. Even though the acting was spot on, especially the comedic timing, the movie just lacked a strong plot. As much as I love a good shoot out, I still wish there was more. 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment